Saturday, October 13, 2007

Cut to - last night

I will eventually post about the wedding and the rest of our trip to India. I have even started to write the post about our wedding (it consists of a single sentence, and that will probably be deleted). However, things keep happening that I think would be fun to write about here and then it never happens because I keep thinking that the wedding story must first be completed. Well, no more. Here's a little post about last night, though I'll start it with some unnecessary history....

In June a good friend threw a surprise Preception party for me and Vivek. Even though I hate surprises and I immediately took an oath of revenge against my friend, we had a good time. My mom even flew in and thanks to another friend, we were able to video chat with friends in SF, CO, and RI and type chat with my uncle in NJ. It was great! A couple weeks later we received a gift from N and J - season tickets to the Minnesota Orchestra. It was an awesome gift and we couldn't have been happier.

Last night was our first concert, and it consisted of a short Stravinsky piece followed by Grieg, then a ghoulish composition from Crumb, and finally Debussey's La Mer. A well know and "highly respected" concert pianist, Garrick Ohlsson, performed during the Grieg (I mention all of this because it may mean something to someone - I'm just repeating what the program said). The Minneapolis crowd was very pleased by his performance and cheered until the man came back for an encore. He chose to perform Chopin and his interpretations of Chopin are some of the best (according to the program). So hopefully I've set the scene for you: Concert Hall, well respected virtuoso pianist, pianist is doing what he does best during an encore performance. Vivek and I were sitting there, enjoying as much as we could, when it happened: A 'discordant wind instrument' (Vivek's words) from several rows behind us, well, tooted. I wasn't sure about what I had just heard so I ignored it. However, a short time later I heard a man pleadingly say "Sorry!" And then, again "Sorry!! Apologies! Sorry!!" I can only imagine what was happening behind us. In front of us, however, the violinists started giggling. Much to his credit, the concert pianist continued to play his Chopin, though who knows whether he heard the additions from the audience.

Even if there had been no sideshow we had a great time at the symphony and are looking forward to our next concert. Anyway, that's the story. I hope you enjoyed it.

2 comments:

N said...

They told us you'd be near the violins, not the horns!

Martin and Carolyn said...

haha...it's funny stories like this one that make your variable reinforcement schedule of blogging so effective!