Sunday, January 27, 2008

Another trip to the symphony

Thanks to a great wedding gift Vivek and I had tickets to the orchestra this weekend. This time we had tickets to the Orchestra's Sounds of Cinema series. Our night included a screening of the classic silent film "The Battleship Potemkin" as the orchestra played a soundtrack compiled from the works of Shostakovich. It was a pretty unique experience, especially since we were allowed to bring our popcorn and drinks in with us. I have to say that it was slightly strange to hear the low rumble of popcorn munching during a live performance of Shostakovich. Even so, I think it was a great experience - the movie was great, the popcorn decent, and the music was outstanding. We were up at the highest levels of the hall this time, so I felt comfortable taking a few shots of it before the concert started. You can see the movie screen in the first shot.

And here's my scotch and popcorn....If you're wondering, the floor here was sticky. I don't think that's standard for the symphony. And it wasn't my fault.
The ceiling and walls in the hall have all these odd cube things in them. Since we were close to the ceiling this time, I thought I'd get a shot. Anyone have any idea whether these should help or hurt sound quality in the hall?

Being camera happy I took a last shot, this time of the mountain of snow along our street. Some very kind person cut a path through it so we can get from the street to the sidewalk. Here's a picture with Vivek's foot in the canyon.

No comments: